Merry Christmas Lovely People!
Anyone who has been living a *SANE lifestyle for a while now will know that a little inSANEity here and there does absolutely nothing to knock us off the path. Regardless, the holiday season can strike fear into the hearts of even seasoned SSoS’ers. Never fear, dear readers! Enjoy the season! Eat *SANE when you can, don’t worry when you can’t. And when you get a quiet moment at home to whip up a smoothie, make it this one. It tastes like Christmas – in all its mint and chocolatey glory – but is as healthy and SANE as healthy and SANE can be.
Even Jonathan was jealous when he caught me with one a week ago.
You could even make a whole bunch for your friends and family and forget to tell them it’s healthy. Once they taste it they’ll never believe you anyway. And, because it’s a green smoothie THAT ISN’T GREEN they won’t even be alerted to the fact that it contains more kale than they have eaten in the last year. HA!!!
If you’ve gulped down any of my other smoothies you’ll know that you won’t be able to taste the slightest hint of kale. YAY!!! Because really, who wants to drink a smoothie that tastes of kale – at any time of the year, let alone slap bang in the middle of the holidays??
I found these Candy Cane Green Tea Herbal Tea Bags at Trader Joe’s – which is what inspired this recipe – but if you can’t get to a TJs then use regular mint or peppermint herbal tea bags instead. If you’ve listened to our green tea podcast you’ll know that hiding green tea in smoothies is a great idea if you’re like me and can’t stand the stuff. Whatever works!
Even better is that once the holidays are over and everyone else is hitting the gym and starving themselves, you’ll still be enjoying the taste of Christmas, and be getting slimmer and healthier faster by supping on this fabulous Mint Chocolate smoothie and doing your 10 minutes of eccentric exercise a week.
Now there’s a gift for you.
- 1 1/2 cups 12 fl oz. water
- 1 mint herbal tea bag
- 1/4 cup / 2 fl oz. sugar-free chocolate syrup
- 2 oz. / 55g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup / 2 oz. / 55g chocolate whey protein
- 8 oz / 225g kale
- 1 TBSP xylitol or equivalent sweetener
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract (please measure – this stuff is REALLY strong!)
- 1/4 tsp guar gum
- Steep the mint herbal tea bag in hot water for 10 minutes and squeeze tea bag well before discarding.
- Put mint tea and other ingredients into blender in the order listed, except the guar gum.
- Blend at high speed until completely smooth.
- Remove blender lid stopper and while blender is still running shake guar gum in.
- Blend for 10 seconds.