When I got back from two-and-a-half weeks of gallivanting around Texas and Georgia, I came home having eaten 100% *SANE the entire time. High off my *SANE road-trip success, I wanted to make sure I continued down the right path once I got home, so the first thing I did the morning after I landed back in Seattle was race down to the kitchen and whip up a SANE green smoothie. Trouble was, I didn’t have any of the ingredients for my previous green smoothie recipes, so I had to make a new one up. I didn’t mind because I haven’t made you a new smoothie flavor for the longest time, so I figured you were up for one too.
This is it.
It tastes like a Chocolate Raspberry Shake. Yes, yes it does. Plus, unlike the majority of my green smoothies – IT’S NOT GREEN – despite being packed to the gills with fabulous, fresh spinach. You might find this one a good way to get your children or spouse on-board with the whole smoothie thing since it looks nothing like anything vaguely healthy.
That same day I also concocted SANE Baked Creamed Spinach. This meant that in the course of two days I downed 42 oz – that’s almost 4 lbs – of fresh spinach. That’s a lot of spinach. I am sure my liver is wondering what the heck happened. In a good way.
If you haven’t given a SANE green smoothie a spin yet, I implore you to start. There are few other ways to get this much greenery inside you without even knowing it.
GO, green smoothies!
- 5 oz / 140g fresh spinach
- 2 oz. / 55g vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 oz. / 15g cocoa power, unsweetened
- 2 TBSP xylitol (I use Xyla)
- 6 oz. / 170g frozen raspberries
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz. boiling water
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- Place the spinach, whey powder, cocoa powder, xylitol, and raspberries in the blender in the order listed.
- Pour the boiling water over the raspberries in the blender.
- Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Tap the guar gum through the hole in the blender lid while the blender is still running and blend for 10 seconds.