I know, right??!! I only made this soup on Saturday, and the next thing you know it’s swaggered straight to the front of the post queue like it owns the joint. Like it was special, or something.
Here’s the thing, dear readers – it is. In fact, I think this may well be the best thing I have ever invented. More to the point, I’d like you to stop whatever it is you are doing right now and drive to the store. Pick up some beets (beetroot) and some fresh tarragon and drive straight back home and MAKE THIS SOUP.
We can tell beet stories another day, because boy do I have some beet stories for you. Right now though – at this very instant – all you need is to eat this soup.
It is the most amazing color. The flavor completely rocked my world – almost off it’s axis. I am supremely happy knowing I have another bowlful slumbering in the ‘fridge for my lunch tomorrow.
And, because I don’t want to delay your beet-buying trip for one second longer, that is all I have to say.
- 3 cups / 1 1/2 pints chicken or clear vegetable stock
- 2 lb / 900g beets (beetroot), peeled and chopped into 1 ” pieces
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 7 oz. / 200g onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp seasalt
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 cup / 4 fl oz. 2% Greek yoghurt
- 4 oz / 100g fresh spinach
- 1/4 tsp guar gum
- Bring stock and chopped beets to boil in a large pan, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Heat coconut oil and cook onion until transparent.
- Working in batches, place onion, beets, stock, tarragon, salt and pepper in blender and blend on high until completely smooth.
- Add Greek yoghurt and fresh spinach and blend until spinach has disappeared.
- During last 10 seconds of blending, shake guar gum through the food opening in the blender lid.
- Blend for 5 seconds.
- Re-heat if necessary and serve.