Gosh. It’s been a while since I posted a side for you. That’s because I’ve been eagerly, and whole-heartedly, absorbed in filling the void left in your lives by cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, ice cream, and all kinds of other insanity from your SAD (Standard American Diet) life. It’s nice to have sane versions of your insane favorites, knowing that they are supporting your fat-loss and health goals, but there is a limit to what you will achieve without some lovely servings of non-starchy veggies every day. A man (or woman) cannot live (or reach their goals) on ground nuts, coconut oil, and xylitol alone. So there’s this: Leek and Cauliflower Risotto. You won’t miss that starchy rice for one second!
So in the spirit of keeping us on the right veggie track, I made you a new side. And let me tell you how delicious this side is. And how much it does not taste in the least like cauliflower. And how it will confuse your brain into thinking you are eating rice. Even while you are eating it and telling your brain it is cauliflower. And how you will want to eat it all the time, once you’ve had it once. Because it almost doesn’t even taste like vegetables at all.
And it looks real pretty. Pretty is important when it comes to vegetables. Especially when one of the veggies is the blandest, most boring-tasting vegetable to be found in the produce department. This side, ladies and gentleman, is neither bland, nor boring-tasting. This side, is awesome.
It is awesome hot, it is awesome cold. Leek and Cauliflower Risotto is particularly awesome as a bed for my Pan-fried Chicken with Strawberry Salsa. So much yum. SO MUCH.
If you’re shaking your head thinking, “I don’t like cauliflower”, try this. If your kids won’t eat cauliflower, make them this. It is quick and simple to throw together, and it will send your health index soaring. You can even make a huge batch in advance and store in airtight containers in the ‘fridge to whip out as either a hot or cold side over the course of a week. I wish I’d made more. Of course, it helps that I included my favorite vegetable on earth. If you have yet to succumb to my pleadings to try leeks, now’s the time.
I love this Leek and Cauliflower Risotto stuff. Elevate the humble cauliflower to a more permanent place at your dinner table!
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 lb / 450g leeks, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups / 3/4 pint chicken stock
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 lb / 450g cauliflower florets
- Few chives for garnish, chopped.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the finely sliced leeks and reduce the heat to medium.
- Saute the leeks until they are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, sea salt, and pepper, stirring well.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Once the stock starts to simmer, add the cauliflower and stir well.
- Cook for 3 – 5 minutes until the cauliflower is just tender, stirring occasionally. Do not over cook as the cauliflower will turn to mush.
- Remove from the heat, stir well and spoon into a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh chives.