You might not have been expecting some quirky alternative medicine recipe to show up in here, but you know me – I do like to keep things interesting for you. I give you Liposomal Vitamin C – so you can be awesome through all the germs that Mother Nature tosses at you and yours.
Liposomal Vitamin C is something that I have been making and drinking daily for a few years now. It’s been a pretty darn magical addition to my routine. That is, until I got busy and got out of the habit of making it. Which is why, back in late December last year, I got really sick. And I mean, lie-on-the-couch-for-6-days sick.
And then, my BFF got back from her family vacation to the East Coast and immediately came over to administer emergency first aid in the form of a vat of freshly made Liposomal Vitamin C.
I drank half a batch immediately. An hour later I was feeling 5000% better, and a few hours after that I was up and about, for the first time in 6 days.
Since this ghastly head flu thing seems to do the rounds across the entire country every year I thought y’all might like to know how to stop it in it’s tracks. As for me, I’ve got this back on my regular schedule now, never to deviate from it again!
Here’s why Liposomal Vitamin C is way better and way more effective than vitamin C in tablet or capsule form:
- The lecithin forms a layer of fat around the vitamin C, which means that way more of it is able to be absorbed in the intestine, so you get much more vitamin C inside you.
- You don’t get diarrhea from taking large quantities of liposomal vitamin C like you do with vitamin C in tablet or capsule form. This is because it is mostly all absorbed. With tablet and capsules, the vitamin C that isn’t absorbed (most of it) causes water to be drawn out of the body and into the intestine….hence disaster pants. So, you can seriously super-dose with liposomal vitamin C which you can’t do with other forms.
- Making your own liposomal vitamin C at home is waaaaaaaay cheaper than buying it commercially. And once you get the production down, you’ll realize how easy it is.
The way we get the lecithin fat molecules to wrap around around the vitamin C is by mixing them and then treating them with ultrasonic waves. The easiest way to do this is in a simple ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Weird? Yes. Effective? Also yes.
A few things to note:
- Place the ultrasonic cleaner and the jar of mixture on a cloth or other tea towel. Because you don’t want the ascorbic acid in the vitamin C to stain or otherwise mark your counter tops. Well, at least, I assume you don’t.
- Make sure your water is not warm. The heat will render the vitamin C less effective.
- Blend on low so as not to generate enough heat to warm the solution.
- The blending and soaking helps the vitamin C to dissolve better. It is highly likely that you will still find some undissolved vitamin C in your solution after blending and soaking.
- The soaking of the lecithin makes sure it is all dissolved.
- Make sure you stir with something wooden, or at least NOT metal.
- Store the finished product in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Rinse your mouth out after you’ve drunk liposomal vitamin C. Because ascorbic acid. You don’t want to dissolve the enamel off your gnashers.
When I am taking this daily I typically drink 1/4 cup. So one batch provides 6 servings for one person.
In an emergency situation like I had this week I drank a whole batch split into two servings – once when I got up, and once before I went to bed.
I have added links to the exact products I use in the recipe. I know these brands work well. I cannot guarantee the same results if you use other brands which may not be as effective or pure.
And one last thing: the taste. Think pure, fresh grapefruit juice. And then times that by ten. Can you say TART?? You might well want to treat it like a shot – down the hatch, lads!!
Liposomal Vitamin C
- Put 1 cup room temp water in a jar with 3 TBSP lecithin and shake well. Leave for a couple hours.
- Put 1/2 cup room temp water in a blender with 2 TBSP vitamin C crystals and blend on low for 5 mins. Leave for a couple hours.
- After a couple of hours, shake the lecithin solution very well.
- Add the lecithin to the blender and blend on LOW for 5 minutes.
- Pour the Lecithin / Vitamin C mix into the machine and switch on. It switches off automatically after 3 minutes.
- Lift the lid and stir well with something wooden (or at least NOT metal). I use the wooden handle of a spatula.
- Switch machine on for another 3 minutes.
- Spoon the liposomal vitamin C into the jar that the lecithin was in, and store in the fridge.
- You can drink it is soon as it’s made. In fact, I think it might be slightly more palatable at room temperature.
WATCH THE VIDEO OF ME MAKING LIPOSOMAL VITAMIN C: CLICK HERE