Who doesn’t love a delicious, fast, one-pan, almost hands-off dinner when they get home from work? And bonus points if it reheats perfectly the next day. Even more points if it tastes just as awesome cold. You get all the points with this dish of Creamy Cajun Sausage Skillet!
I love a good sausage. And when they’re pre-cooked so all you need to do is warm them through, your scrumptious KETO life just got even easier.
I like to use smoked sausage in this Creamy Cajun Sausage Skillet, but you can use any pre-cooked sausage you prefer. You can also use regular raw sausages and cook them up yourself ahead of time. It’s an extra step, but it won’t add much to the cooking time if you fry or grill the sausages while the veggies are busy simmering in the stock and spices.
This Creamy Cajun Sausage Skillet is also a great dish to make a double batch of and freeze one for later use. Just defrost and warm gently and you’ll have a tasty meal ready in minutes.
You can increase the protein if you need or want to by simply adding an additional 8 oz. / 225g – 1 lb. / 450g sausage. For more fat, add 2 oz. / 55g butter to the stock and spices.
All the ingredients for this Creamy Cajun Sausage Skillet are likely already languishing in your kitchen – even the sausage if you keep a handy stock in your fridge for emergencies. Sausages are fantastic for this. My fridge is rarely sausage-less. They’re just so handy when you need to knock up a quick meal with whatever you have on hand.
Creamy Cajun Sausage Skillet
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins | Serves: 4 – 6
What You Need
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 oz. / 55g onion, finely chopped
- 2 oz. / 55g red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 oz. / 225g riced cauliflower
- ½ cup / 4 fl oz. chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 lb. / 450g cooked sausage, sliced diagonally in ¼ “ slices
- 4 oz. / 110g cream cheese
What You Do
- Heat the avocado or coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper, riced cauliflower, chicken stock, salt and all the spices and herbs.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sliced cooked sausage and mix well.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until completely melted and everything is coated in melted cheese.
Top Recipe Tips
- Use white or yellow onions for the lowest carb count. Red and sweet onions are higher in carbs.
- Rice your own cauliflower by separating the florets from a whole head, placing them in a food processor and pulsing until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Use green pepper instead of red pepper if they are more available or cheaper!
- Double the cayenne pepper if you prefer more of a kick to your dinner.
- If you have fresh oregano and / or thyme and prefer to use those, stir them into the pan with the cream cheese at the end.
- Use any cooked sausage you prefer. I love using this smoked sausage.
- FOR DAIRY-FREE: leave out the cream cheese and add 1/2 cup / 4 fl oz. thick coconut milk. Then, gently sprinkle 1/2 tsp. konjac flour over the surface of the food while stirring rapidly with the other hand to incorporate it. Heat for another couple of minutes to let the mixture thicken.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More pork recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks! Available in both print and digital versions.
- Check out the categories in the left side bar and the tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.