Although ice cream that has been churned in an churner will always produce the best results – and be a LOT faster and easier! – it is possible to make ice cream without one. Simple ice cream churners are not expensive and do a great job. I do recommend getting a churner to power your ice cream making endeavors. Only if you intend to make a lot of ice cream, or want to make several flavors at the same time would you consider a more expensive model that allows you to churn continuously without refreezing the churning bowl. I actually find the cheaper ones easier to use and clean!
However, if a churner is simply not on your horizon right now, or you want to test the keto ice cream waters before purchasing a machine, here is how to make ice cream without one:
1. Prepare your ice cream mixture and then chill it per the instructions in The Keto Ice Cream Scoop Cookbook (Digital and hard copies available!)
2. Once sufficiently chilled, put a bowl, container, or baking dish made of something durable – ie. glass – in the freezer. Pour your ice cream mixture into it.
3. After forty-five minutes, open the freezer door and check the ice cream.
4. Once you see that is is starting to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and stir it vigorously with a whisk. Break up any frozen sections and beat it really well. Return to the freezer.
5. Check the mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it’s freezing. Use a hand-held mixer for best results, or use a stick-blender. If you do not have any electric equipment you can also use just a spatula or a sturdy whisk and some good old-fashioned elbow grease!
5. Keep checking periodically and stir while it freezes (by hand or with the electric mixer) until the ice cream is frozen. It will likely take about 3 hours to be ready.
6. Once it has reached a stiff soft-serve consistency, put a lid on the container and place in the deep freeze until completely frozen.