Peanut Butter gets most Americans all kinds of excited. We eat Peanut Butter in England, but it’s not considered its own food group like it is over here – west of the Atlantic and east of the Pacific; and we generally don’t have a Peanut Butter flavored version of every recipe ever written. In England we put it on bread or toast and call it good. If we’re feeling really decadent, we’ll cram some into the hollow of celery sticks and munch on them; but that’s only on special days. I remember the first time I spied a jar of peanut butter and jelly and thought it was the weirdest thing ever. Pretty, but definitely not something to consume, even in an emergency. This Creamy Peanut Butter Mousse, however, is definitely not for emergency use only.
Having now lived on this large and glorious hunk of land for a while though, it makes total sense that America once voted a Peanut Farmer into the White House. Luckily for a lot of people with a penchant for peanuts – they’re ok to eat. For some, though, they are inflammatory so might not be the best choice. If they are something that you can tolerate, you will love this recipe. LOVE.
This recipe started out with a friend. Being British I wouldn’t intrinsically think about using peanut butter to make
anything dessert. My friend’s version was so rich and peanut-buttery – beyond even peanut butter itself – I could only manage a spoonful before I had to lie down and nap. I can imagine if you served that to dinner guests you’d be breaking out the air mattresses and tucking everyone up in no time.
So I fiddled with this and that, made it more nutrient dense – and whipped up a dinner-party-worthy mousse for you. But lest you think you have to wait for a dinner party and invite guests before you can make this peanut-lover’s dream – if I were you I’d make a big old bowl and keep it in the ‘fridge, and then anytime you need a little something, shove your spoon right on into this fluffy sea of peanutty glory.
Creamy Peanut Butter Mousse
- 2 cups / 1 pint Greek yogurt
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz. natural peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 3 oz. / 85g vanilla protein powder OR egg white powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda – DO NOT USE TOO MUCH! It will taste like soap.
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 3 oz. / 85g xylitol or equivalent granular sweetener
- In a large bowl beat together the yogurt and peanut butter until completely blended.
- Mix in the protein OR egg white powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.
- Add ½ the xylitol and whisk well. Add the remaining xylitol and whisk until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the peanut butter mixture until completely blended.
- Spoon into dishes and chill in the ‘fridge.