As I suspect most good – and by ‘good’ I mean mostly conscientious and consistent – bloggers do, I usually feel somewhat obligated to write some kind of New Year post. As luck would have it, this year – or maybe I mean last year? – in the wee, wee hours of New Years Eve my head exploded into a scream-inducing headache of migrainous proportions which required a trip to the local ER and several shots of sleep-inducing liquids which turned out to be quite lovely in comparison. The rest of New Years Eve went down in a stream of semi-consciousness that was only briefly interrupted by a bevy of fireworks and hip-hip-hooraying at midnight from my neighbors. When I awoke from my drug-laden slumber at some point on New Years Day, and stumbled down the stairs, all thoughts of welcoming 2014 in via my blog had been eradicated in a haze of painkillers.
But really, you know, that’s not a bad thing, because this whole sane lifestyle isn’t something that was designed to go on a list of resolutions that come out once a year and are forgotten about by February. No sirree! This is something to be embraced as an all-singing, all dancing way of life, because who doesn’t want to just live better – all year round?
So aside from the fact that it is now almost the end of January and New Years Resolutions would be a little ridiculous at this point, I decided instead to focus on just one word this year: EMBRACE.
Here’s a few things that would be great to embrace on your journey to health. Some will be easy to embrace, others not so much; we’re creatures of habit and change can be hard – even when the results are good. All change towards a saner life is all good.
- EMBRACE the real truth about all those calorie myths we’ve been slaves to for the past few decades. If you haven’t picked up a copy of Jonathan’s book, The Calorie Myth, yet, I strongly encourage you to do so. In it he lays out why so much of what we’ve been told about dieting and exercise has led us down all the wrong paths to all the places we didn’t want to go. This is your “why”.
- EMBRACE eating smarter. Grab the Eat Smarter! Smoothies and Sides, Eat Smarter! Soups, and Eat Smarter! Ice Creams cookbooks crammed with scrumptious recipes. These are your “how”. Between them they cover a basic sane day: smoothie for breakfast, soup for lunch, grilled protein and sides for dinner, ice cream for dessert – all the basics are covered to get you off on the right track. Why do I *really* want you to buy my cookbooks? The same reason as I wrote them: because they will help you reach your goals faster, easier, cheaper, and more deliciously. Smarter food can be super-delicious and you won’t feel in the lest deprived.
- EMBRACE more sleep. Great sleep is critical to great health. Hit the snooze instead of getting up to go run! If you’re not getting 7 hours a night you’re robbing yourself of health. Put sleep at the top of your to-do list every day!
- EMBRACE eating healthy fats. Healthy fats such as coconut, nuts, avocado, cocoa, eggs, fish, meat should be eaten in abundance to keep your brain and body functioning at it’s best. Fat does not make us fat, and in fact, healthy fats make us healthier and leaner. Embrace the good fats and eat your fill.
- EMBRACE veggies. Eating an abundance of non-starchy veggies really is one of the best things you can do for your health. One of the few things that everyone in the health profession and every lifestyle can agree on.
- EMBRACE exercising less. You don’t need to spend hours getting in shape every week. Exercising smarter allows you to get your body in shape with a fraction of the time. Think of all the other fun things you can do with that time!
- EMBRACE eating more. You don’t need to eat less food to maintain a healthy weight. Eat more of the right foods and you’ll be slim without ever being hungry.
- EMBRACE drinking water. If you don’t care for the taste of plain water (guilty!), drink herbal teas like peppermint, or add a splash of lemon or lime juice. Whatever you need to do to drink more water, just do it! Or, if water just does not do it for you, then a have a cookbook for that! Drink Smarter! Beverages will make getting hydrated more delicious and nutritious than you ever thought possible.
- EMBRACE green tea. If you don’t care for the taste of green tea (guilty!), add 4 teabags of leaves to your morning smoothie and get the same benefit.
- EMBRACE getting rid of your bathroom scale. You body scale does not serve you well as a measure of progress, and may encourage you to fall off the wagon when the number doesn’t go down, even when the results are clearly showing in other ways. Down with body scales! If you need to measure something measure your waist, your chest and your neck every week or two.
- EMBRACE non-scale victories. Tightening the belt buckle, wearing smaller clothes, feeling energetic, glowing skin, reduction in aches and pains, no bloated feeling – just a handful of the signs that your body is getting healthier. Look for the signs that your body is healing without caring about what it weighs!
- EMBRACE success. Be ready – mentally and emotionally – to enjoy the new you!
- EMBRACE community. Subscribe to this blog (in the left hand menu bar) to keep SANE content coming right to your door when you need support, or inspiration, tips and tricks, or a scrumptious new recipe to help you keep going in the right direction. Connect on Facebook to get some sanity in your newsfeed, and join the Carrie Brown Life in the Sane Lane Community to get ideas, share stories, and celebrate success with other people sharing similar health goals to you. Staying connected *REALLY* helps. Make use of these fabulous free resources!
What will you EMBRACE this year that will make the most positive difference to your life?