As I suspect most good – and by ‘good’ I mean mostly conscientious and consistent – bloggers do, I usually feel somewhat obligated to write some kind of New Year post. But for the last many years that sense of obligation has not materialized. On purpose. And you know, that’s not a bad thing, because this whole low carb or keto lifestyle isn’t something that was designed to go on a list of resolutions that come out once a year and are forgotten about by February. No sirree! This is something to be embraced as an all-singing, all dancing way of life, because who doesn’t want to just live better – all year round?
So instead of wittering on about resolutions I decided instead to focus on just one word: EMBRACE.
Here’s a few things that would be great to embrace on your journey to health. Some will be easy to embrace, others not so much; we’re creatures of habit and change can be hard – even when the results are good. All change towards a healthier and saner life is all good.
- EMBRACE the real truth about all those calorie myths we’ve been slaves to for the past few decades. So much of what we’ve been told about dieting and exercise has led us down all the wrong paths to all the places we didn’t want to go. Figure out what is driving you towards change. This is your “why”. Without a why it’s likely you won’t be motivated to do anything to propel you forward.
- EMBRACE eating smarter. Grab any one – or all! – of my keto cookbooks crammed with scrumptious recipes. These are your “how”. Between them they cover a basic keto day to get you off on the right track. Why do I *really* want you to buy my cookbooks? The same reason as I wrote them: because they will help you reach your goals faster, easier, cheaper, and more deliciously. Smarter food can be super-delicious and you won’t feel in the least deprived.
- EMBRACE more sleep. Great sleep is critical to great health. Hit the snooze instead of getting up to go run! If you’re not getting 7 hours a night you’re robbing yourself of health. Put sleep at the top of your to-do list every day!
- EMBRACE eating healthy fats. Healthy fats such as coconut, nuts, avocado, cocoa, eggs, fish, meat should be eaten in abundance to keep your brain and body functioning at it’s best. Fat does not make us fat, and in fact, healthy fats eaten in appropriate amounts make us healthier and leaner. Embrace the good fats and eat your fill.
- EMBRACE veggies. If veggies don’t make you feel great, skip them, but if eating veggies does makes you feel good, have at it. Just focus on the non-starchy ones – the leafy greens and those that grow above ground are typically your best low carb options.
- EMBRACE exercising less. You don’t need to spend hours getting in shape every week. Exercising smarter allows you to get your body in shape with a fraction of the time. Think of all the other fun things you can do with that time!
- EMBRACE eating more. You don’t need to eat less food to maintain a healthy weight. Eat more of the right foods and you’ll be slim without ever being hungry.
- EMBRACE drinking water. If you don’t care for the taste of plain water (guilty!), drink herbal teas like peppermint, or add a splash of lemon or lime juice. Whatever you need to do to drink more water, just do it! Or, if water just does not do it for you, then a have a cookbook for that! 101 Keto Beverages will make getting hydrated more delicious and nutritious than you ever thought possible.
- EMBRACE green tea. If you don’t care for the taste of green tea (guilty!), try matcha powder instead, or if you drink smoothies use cold green tea instead of water.
- EMBRACE getting rid of your bathroom scale. You body scale does not serve you well as a measure of progress, and may encourage you to fall off the wagon when the number doesn’t go down, even when the results are clearly showing in other ways. Down with body scales! If you need to measure something measure your waist, your chest and your neck every week or two.
- EMBRACE non-scale victories. Tightening the belt buckle, wearing smaller clothes, feeling energetic, glowing skin, reduction in aches and pains, no bloated feeling – just a handful of the signs that your body is getting healthier. Look for the signs that your body is healing without caring about what it weighs!
- EMBRACE success. Be ready – mentally and emotionally – to enjoy the new you!
- EMBRACE community. Subscribe to this blog (in the left hand menu bar) to keep content coming right to your door when you need support, or inspiration, tips and tricks, or a scrumptious new recipe to help you keep going in the right direction. Connect on Facebook to get updates on all the things I’m up to and join the The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group to get ideas, share stories, and celebrate success with other people sharing similar health goals to you. Staying connected *REALLY* helps. Make use of these fabulous free resources!
What will you EMBRACE this year that will make the most positive difference to your life?