Denser than a regular souffle, these little dishes are a seemingly sophisticated riff on a bacon and egg breakfast that would grace either a fancy brunch buffet or a family weekend breakfast table and be perfectly at home. These Ham and Cheese Ramekins – named after the little dishes they’re baked in – will bring a round of wows to any food situation. I highly recommend you whip them up this weekend. And if you’re fixated on the words ‘sophisticated’ and ‘souffle’ from earlier in the paragraph, I suggest you focus on the word ‘seemingly’ instead, because they are super easy to make and you will learn that souffles are not something to be feared.
These Ham and Cheese Ramekins are denser than souffles and not as fragile. In this instance, eating them the very second they come out of the oven is not as critical as you have been led to believe. In fact, when I made these I had to shoot the images before I could eat them, and so I didn’t get to chow down for some time after they had been removed from the oven. They were still awesome. *Really* awesome, in fact. I also left two to get cold, put plastic wrap over the top, and ate them cold the next day. They were still awesome.
These little dishes of delicious are rich and filling and pack a punch in the flavor department. To change things up you can vary the cheeses you use, swap out the ham for cooked bacon, and add your favorite herbs. There’s lots of ways you could personalize these am and Cheese Ramekins, and I hope that once you followed the recipe you’ll have a go at making them your own.
Next time you get bored with bacon and eggs, take a few extra minutes and whip these up, or add Ham and Cheese Ramekins to your next family brunch or special occasion spread. It doesn’t take much to get all excited about keto food again when you have these waiting in the wings. You simply never need be bored on keto!
Ham and Cheese Ramekins
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Total time: 30 mins | Serves: 4
What You Need
- 2 oz. / 55g Cheddar cheese
- 2 oz. / 55g smoked Gouda cheese
- 6 TBSP heavy cream
- 2 oz. / 55g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 oz. / 55g ham, finely chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 2 eggs
What You Do
- Grease 4 ramekin dishes with coconut or avocado oil and place on a baking sheet.
- Grate the cheeses into a bowl, add the cream, mushrooms, ham, sea salt, ground black pepper, and onion powder, and mix together until completely combined.
- Separate the eggs carefully, making sure not to get any yolks in the whites.
- Add the yolks to the cheese mixture and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the ramekin dishes and bake at 400 F for 10 – 15 minutes until they are golden and risen.
- Serve immediately.
Top Recipe Tips
- This recipe is a good way to use up small pieces of cheese you might have lolling in your fridge.
- If you want it to be less rich use your favorite nut milk in place of the heavy cream.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More recipes using cheese
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!
- Check out the categories and tags at the bottom of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
Podcast Episodes and You Tube Videos
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
- You can add your favorite herb and / or leave out the onion powder if you want to change it up.
- Experiment with different cheeses.
- Replace the ham with cooked bacon.