This Egg and Bacon Salad is near and dear to my heart. It’s a riff on something my mother started making for birthday parties when I was a young’un, and it has been a favorite thing in my life ever since. Maybe because I only got to eat it twice a year, so it was a real treat. Or maybe because I associate it with having a birthday and all the joy that comes with that. Or maybe because I’ve always thought ketchup went brilliantly with eggs. Or maybe I just love the taste of it for no reason connected to emotions. Who knows. Who cares. I love this stuff.
So I thought I’d share with you this childhood treat – made better by the addition of bacon, and tweaked to be more KETO. Because I love you guys, and I have high hopes that this Egg and Bacon Salad will bring as much joy to you as it does to me, and also that it will help you reach your goals. Also, if you’re just plain bored of eating bacon and eggs, this may well be just the ticket to get you falling in love with them again.
It’s easy to make, is mostly assembly, and can be made up in batches in advance for consumption over a number of days. Egg and Bacon Salad is perfect for an on-the-go meal, and travels well. I mean, you can’t leave it out of the ‘fridge for days at a time, but you could totally take some on a plane ride in a disposable container or a Ziploc baggie and it would be fine. Your airplane buddies will be jealous. I actually prefer to eat it when it’s not straight-from-the-fridge cold. The butter isn’t hard and you don’t get palate cling when it’s warmed up a little. Just a thought.
This Egg and Bacon Salad would be a fabulous filling in a KETO biscuit or between slices of KETO bread to make a sandwich, and would make a fantastic lettuce wrap affair. Or make a roll in a KETO tortilla. Plus, if you’re trying to get your kids to love eating KETO – give them this. I have yet to meet a child that didn’t think this was the Best. Thing. Ever.
Egg and Bacon Salad
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Total time: 25 mins | Serves: 2
What You Need
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz. / 110g bacon
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 oz. / 30g butter, softened
- 2 TBSP heavy cream
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
What You Do
- Cook the bacon and chop or crumble depending on how crispy you cooked it.
- Meanwhile, hard-boil the eggs, cool, and peel.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl and chop finely using a knife. It’s easier to contain the eggs if you do the chopping in a bowl.
- Add the chopped or crumbled bacon, tomato paste, softened butter, cream, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice and mix very well until completely combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the ‘fridge.
Top Recipe Tips
- Cook bacon in bulk so you always have some cooked bacon on hand to make quick recipes like this.
- Keep butter in a covered dish on your counter so it’s always soft and ready to go.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More egg recipes
- More pork recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks! Available in both print and digital versions.
- Check out the categories in the left side bar and the tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
- You can swap out the butter for ghee and the heavy cream for thick coconut milk to make this dairy-free. The flavor will be different.