Little did I know when I created – in utter desperation one cold, wet and wild November morning – a hot cereal to fill the gigantic void left by a bowl of porridge (oatmeal), that it would be turn out to be 1) the most popular recipe post of all time, and 2) become the starting point for a number of other recipes, including this Creamy Lemon Coconut Cereal.
You lovely, lovely people just LOVE that Hot and Nutty Cereal. I’ve had notes from all over the world about how it makes your porridge-less mornings delicious again – and that makes me feel all warm and goofy inside. Not only that, but you’ve bombarded me with ideas on how to use that same mix in different ways. You’re awesome!
I used it as a starting point for my Cinnamon Raisin Muffins, which is also a Top 15 most popular recipe, and I have another couple of recipes I am working on. This Creamy Lemon Coconut Cereal idea came when Lori, a delightful and wonderfully enthusiastic follower in California, posted that she had woken up craving my Hot and Nutty Cereal one day, but because it was a warm day she wanted something cold. She stirred the Hot and Nutty Cereal mix into a cup of Greek Yogurt and voilà! Lori’s favorite cereal – but cold. Not to mention the added protein. Needless to say, as soon as I heard that I ran off to try it. Delicious!Since I am me, my brain promptly exploded, and lots of ideas for bright, sunny flavors started ricocheting around all over the place. I am always thinking about coconut these days – I blame studio time with Bailor for that one – so I started there and went with my favorite citrus flavor to make a cold, creamy bowl of sunshiny cereal for you.
This Creamy Lemon Coconut Cereal is one of my new favorites, and easy to whip up in bulk at the start of the week, spoon into lidded bowls and stack in the ‘fridge to grab on the way to the office each week-day morning. It’s extremely filling, but with a light, refreshing taste. Would also make a great summertime dessert.
Thanks, Lori, for getting me started on this one!
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 2 TBSP sunflower seeds
- 4 TBSP unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 oz. / 28g egg white powder
- 1 TBSP xylitol or erythritol (add more to taste)
- 1/2 TBSP lemon zest (1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract (essence)
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz. Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup / 2 fl oz. unsweetened thin coconut milk
- Grind chia, sunflower seeds and coconut until very fine in a coffee grinder or high-speed blender (be careful you don’t end up with sunflower butter!).
- In a bowl add ground seeds, egg white powder, xylitol or erythritol, and mix well.
- Add the lemon zest, lemons essence, yogurt and coconut milk and stir thoroughly until completely mixed.
- Sprinkle extra lemon zest on top to serve.
Measuring out and grinding all those seeds every day got old really fast, so here’s an instant mix that you can make in bulk and store in the ‘fridge ready to go when you want it.
- 10 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 1/4 cups sunflower seeds
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 10 oz. / 280g egg white powder
- 10 TBSP xylitol or erythritol
- 5 TBSP lemon zest (5 lemons)
In batches, place chia seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut in a coffee grinder and grind until fine. (If you use a blender such as a Vitamix be careful you don’t end up with a paste!) Pour ground mix into a large bowl, add egg white powder, xylitol or erythritol, and lemon zest. Mix very well until completely blended. Store in an air-tight glass jar in the ‘fridge.
Then, when you stumble into the kitchen, bleary-eyed from your 7 hours of shut-eye, here’s the recipe for 1 serving of instant Creamy Lemon Coconut Cereal:
- 1/2 cup instant cereal mix
- 1/2 cup / 4 fl oz. Greek yogurt
- 2 TBSP unsweetened thin coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp lemon essence
Place cereal mix in a bowl, add yogurt, coconut milk, and lemon essence and stir very well.