I know a lot of you are yelling, “Shakshouka! Shakshouka!” right now. And you would be warm. But not hot. Because these Italian-Style Creamy Baked Eggs are a lot more than Shakshouka. More substantial, more filling, more delicious, and more keto. Even though it sneakily looks pretty much exactly the same.
These Italian-Style Creamy Baked Eggs are great for any meal at any time of day. We had them for brunch when I whipped them up and they kept us full all day. Add some Foxhill Kitchen Bunz to sop up all those tomatoey juices and wonder why you ever thought eating low carb or keto was boring or tasteless.
Italian-Style Creamy Baked Eggs
Author: Yogi Parker| Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins | Serves: 2 – 4
What You Need
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 lb / 450g ground Italian sausage
- 6 oz / 170g sliced mushrooms
- 24 oz / 670g marinara (or pasta sauce)
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz heavy cream
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 oz / 85g grated Parmesan
- 12 oz / 335g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- OPTIONAL (but awesome): Foxhill Kitchen Bunz and use code carrie for a 15% discount!
What You Do
- You will need an oven safe deep sided skillet. A cast iron skillet is perfect for this.
- Pre-heat oven to 415 degrees.
- Place skillet on stove over medium heat.
- Add butter and onions and sauté until onions begin to turn translucent, then add garlic and continue to sauté for about a minute.
- Add Italian sausage and lightly brown the meat, chopping it up as you stir.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for about two minutes.
- Add the marinara, heavy cream, and Italian seasoning and stir to incorporate all ingredients well.
- Allow mixture to come to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about twenty minutes until it thickens.
- Add 2 oz / 55g of the grated Parmesan and stir to incorporate well.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the sausage sauce and then crack the eggs into various spots on top of the dish, season with sea salt and ground black pepper and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Place pan in the oven to bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, uncovered. If you like your yolks on the harder side, continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and allow to rest for at least ten minutes before serving.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the top just before serving.
Top Recipe Tips
- This is a dish you can really play with. If you cannot find a clean Italian sausage, any ground meat can work. Ground veal and lamb are great in this. Other veggies can be added as well, such as artichoke hearts, spinach, peppers or leeks can be great additions.
- Some great toppings and garnishes are fresh chopped basil, green onion, olives, or crispy fried prosciutto pieces.
- Can be served on top of some squash or Konjac noodles, cauliflower rice or eaten on its own.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More pork recipes
- More egg recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!
- Check out the categories and tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Discounts on great keto products and resources.
Podcast Episodes and You Tube Videos
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
- See Top Recipe Tips above.