If you haven’t tried lamb lately – or at all (!!) – now’s the time, especially if you like things a little on the spicy side. Because these Cast Iron Curried Lamb Shanks are all that. I love curry because of the spiciness, and as a bonus the turmeric is great for inflammation. Slow-cooking and braising lamb shanks are a great way to make the meat fall-off-the-bone buttery tender. This definitely falls into the category of comfort food – especially when served over cauli rice or your favorite keto noodles.
Although they have a fairly lengthy languish in the oven, the prep is fast and simple. You could totally prepare them earlier in the day – or the night before – cover and keep in the fridge and then pop them in the oven 2 1/2 hours before feeding time at your zoo. If it’s just you in your zoo freeze the remainder in single-serve portions for fast grab-and-reheat dinners at your fingertips.
Another reason I love lamb is that it’s rich in carnitine which helps develop lean muscle and ups your metabolism to burn fat. Lamb is coming down in price and becoming much more available so I highly recommend you start getting lamb on your weekly rotation!
Cast Iron Curried Lamb Shanks
Author: Yogi Parker| Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 2 hours 45 mins | Total time: 2 hours 50 mins | Serves: 4
What You Need
- 3lbs / 1kg 345g bone-in lamb shanks
- Sea salt (For the best salt and a 15% discount use code: carriebrown)
- Ground black pepper
- 3 TBSP avocado oil
- 1 ½ oz. butter
- 2 TBSP curry powder
- 2 TBSP ground turmeric
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 12 oz. / 335g stock or bone broth
- 6 oz. / 170g tomato paste
- 10 oz. / 280g Greek yogurt
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 10 oz. / 280g bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 oz. / 170g onion, sliced
- 12 oz. / 335g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ oz. / 15g garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Season each shank with sea salt and ground black pepper on all sides.
- Pre-heat a skillet on medium heat and add the avocado oil.
- When the skillet is hot, place lamb shanks in the skillet and sear each side to a golden brown color, but do not cook all the way, leave the lamb mostly raw.
- After the lamb shanks are seared, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add the butter, allow it to melt and then add all the ground spices. Using a whisk, mix the spices with the butter until it becomes a paste like consistency.
- Add the bone broth, tomato paste, yogurt, and lemon juice and use a whisk to stir well.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and garlic and mix to incorporate.
- Add the cinnamon stick.
- Add the lamb shanks back into the skillet and roll them in the curry mixture to thoroughly coat each shank.
- Place the entire skillet in the oven and slow braise the shanks for 2 1/2 hours or until the lamb shanks are fall-off-the-bone tender.
- Remove skillet from the oven and allow dish to rest for ten minutes before serving.
- Garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves or chopped green onions.
Top Recipe Tips
- If you want additional heat, dice up some of your favorite hot peppers and add them when you add the mushrooms, bell peppers, garlic and onions. Adding some diced ginger can also kick up the heat and add great flavor. Add as much as fits your tastes.
- If you cannot find lamb shanks, some oxtail, beef roast, or bone in chicken can be used.
- Serve by itself or on top of cauliflower rice, konjac rice or noodles, or squash noodles.
- Serve with some keto bread like Fox Hill Kitchen Bunz (Use code: carrie for a 15% discount!) to sop up all those delicious curried juices.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More lamb recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!
- Check out the categories and tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Discounts on great keto products and resources.
Podcast Episodes and You Tube Videos
- Watch Yogi’s Cooking Videos
- Watch Carrie’s Cooking Videos
- Watch our Cooking Tips and Tricks Videos
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! YOU MAKE ALL THINGS POSSIBLE.
There *may* be an affiliate link or two in this post and I *may* receive a small commission from qualifying purchases in order to provide free content for you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.