Tacos de Lengua is a Mexican street food that I used to love to get whenever I was surfing or on scuba trips in Baja. I remember it’s crispy-fried goodness in a soft corn tortilla with cilantro, onions and lime. One food that I feel real nostalgic for is Mexican food because it’s reminds me of all the wonderful times that I had camping and surfing in Mexico. This is definitely one that brings up the warm fuzzies for me.
These Tacos de Lengua are made with tongue which is a great – but very underutilized – meat. It’s inexpensive so works great on a budget and is absolutely delicious when slow-cooked, then cut up and fried crispy.
Slow-cook a couple of tongues at once, chop and fry until crispy and then put half in the freezer for some fantastic ready-to-go taco, wrap, or salad meat!
Tacos de Lengua
Author: Yogi Parker| Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 3 hours 15 mins | Serves: 6 – 8
What You Need
- 2.5lb / 1120g beef tongue
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP whole peppercorns
- 1/2 TBSP dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. coriander seed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 12 oz. / 335g onion peeled and sliced
- 2 oz. / 55g garlic cloves crushed
- 12 oz. / 335g seeded and chopped green chilies
- enough water to cover the ingredients
- 1 TBSP sea salt http://shop.redmond.life?aff=96 Code: carriebrown
What You Do
- Put all the ingredients in your slow cooker or Instant Pot and slow cook on the high setting for 3 hours.
- After cooking, remove the tongue and peel the outer layer of rough skin from the tongue. Chop the tongue into small bite size cubes. To serve, crisp up the pieces of tongue by frying them in lard, tallow, avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter, and season with salt and pepper while hot. You can also season with some chili powder and lime juice.
- You can put the meat in the keto taco shell or wrap of your choice (https://amzn.to/3ezIMov), or you can make a taco salad, and omelette, torta, or keto sandwich bread. You can really get creative with this. We used Folio Cheese Wraps for the pictures.
Top Recipe Tips
- If you make taco salad, try adding some cheese crisps for crunch. You can also make this on the stove top if you do not have a slow cooker or Instant Pot by simply adding all the ingredients to a pot, bringing to a boil and then lowering the temperature, covering with a lid, and allowing the meat and seasonings to simmer for three hours.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More beef recipes
- More organ meat and offal recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!
- Check out the categories and tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Discounts on great keto products and resources.
Podcast Episodes and YouTube Videos
- Watch Yogi’s Cooking Videos
- Watch Carrie’s Cooking Videos
- Watch our Cooking Tips and Tricks Videos
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!