Ah, cheese sauce.
If only you knew how many pints of cheese sauce I’ve made trying to find the perfect alternative to a regular inSANE one for you. Luckily, cheese sauce is like crack to me, so my mouth has been very happy to participate in this endeavor.
I wrote about the happy day it all went down here, but I’ve had several requests to post the basic Cheese Sauce recipe.
Your wish is my command.
- 1 tsp. konjac flour / glucomannan powder
- 2 cups / 1 pint milk (whatever mik you prefer – coconut (SANEst), almond, hemp, cows…)
- 5 oz / 140g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 TBSP white wine vinegar (do not leave this out!)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Put the konjac flour in a small bowl.
- Using a small whisk, add 1 cup of milk to the bowl and immediately whisk quickly to disperse the flour thoroughly.
- Pour into a pan and cook over medium heat, stirring thoroughly and continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add the other 1 cup of milk and stir well.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce, and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Add the white wine vinegar and stir well.
- Remove sauce from the heat and pour over whatever you fancy.