Ah, cheese sauce.
If only you knew how many pints of cheese sauce I’ve made trying to find the perfect alternative to a regular inSANE one for you. Luckily, cheese sauce is like crack to me, so my mouth has been very happy to participate in this endeavor.
I wrote about the happy day it all went down here, but I’ve had several requests to post the basic Cheese Sauce recipe.
Your wish is my command.
- 1 tsp. konjac flour / glucomannan powder
- 2 cups / 1 pint milk (whatever mik you prefer – coconut (SANEst), almond, hemp, cows…)
- 5 oz / 140g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 TBSP white wine vinegar (do not leave this out!)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Put the konjac flour in a small bowl.
- Using a small whisk, add 1 cup of milk to the bowl and immediately whisk quickly to disperse the flour thoroughly.
- Pour into a pan and cook over medium heat, stirring thoroughly and continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add the other 1 cup of milk and stir well.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce, and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Add the white wine vinegar and stir well.
- Remove sauce from the heat and pour over whatever you fancy.
PatPlease post a picture when you can. I would like to see what yours looks like. Thanks…
carriePat – it’s on the list!
PatWhat list? Lol thanks
carrieMy endless recipe blog to-do list, Pat :-)
SallyCarrie, is there a substitute for konjac flour? I have had unpleasant reaction to the konjac.
carrieHi Sally – you could use garbanzo bean flour or guar gum, but you won’t get the same great result. It’s a bummer that you reacted to konjac because it’s so useful for so many things.
Drew ThompsonHi Carrie:
The Modernist method is to use sodium citrate:
I have used it to make cauliflower cheese and it works a treat – so smooth.
carrieDrew that is fascinating!!! Thanks for sharing.
Debbie HueweHi Carrie,Would arrowroot or ? work well? I am looking for something I have on hand. I’d have to order the konjac flour from Amazon.
carrieHi Debbie – arrowroot is a starch like cornstarch, so would make your sauce inSANE. Konjac is the absolute best SANE thickener I have found for sauces like this.
solar collectorsFor hottest information you have to pay a quick visit web and on the web I found this website as
a most excellent website for hottest updates.
Day 14 fasting for 22 hours – Carnivore & Coffee[…] surprised at how it was cooked. My husband made steamed broccoli and I made some cheese sauce. Carrie Brown’s cheese sauce which is the best! They also baked sweet potatoes. I was very good sticking to my carnivore diet […]
Day 14 fasting for 22 hours – Carnivore & Coffee[…] at how it was cooked. My husband made steamed broccoli and I made some cheese sauce. Carrie Brown’s cheese sauce which is the best! They also baked sweet potatoes. I was very good sticking to my carnivore diet […]
SamHi. This is a neat recipe. And I have a question. Why is the vinegar so essential here? Thanks for any info.