Sausage Scramble This isn’t a real recipe post, it’s one of those what-Carrie-really-does-for-breakfast-when-she’s-not-inventing-some-fantastical-new-recipe post.
I found these wildly exciting sausages in Trader Joe’s recently, and while I highly recommend you swinging by to grab some if you have Trader Joe’s as an option, you can use any favorite sausage you have to hand. In England that means you have about 1,367 different sausages to choose from – all of them good; some of them very, very exciting. Just make sure, when you’re perusing the sausage department, that you take a gander at the label before you plop them into your basket. High protein, no added sugar, and no starchy fillers is what we’re after. Bonus for sausages with no artificial gunk floating around in them.
These Sweet Basil Pesto Sausages were just ridiculously awesome to use in a scramble. They are made with smoked chicken and turkey plus a handful of seasonings, walnuts, and lots of basil. They are already seasoned, so you don’t need to add anything else to pep your eggs up except a dash of salt and pepper. They are pre-cooked so you only need heat them through, and then, as if all that wasn’t enough – get this – they have 21g of protein PER sausage. So if you use 2 sausages and 3 eggs, you’re at 60g protein and you’ve barely made it out of bed. Sausage awesomeness, right there.
If you split this Sausage Scramble between two of you, you’re still looking at the magical protein synthesis threshold, without even really trying. Remember that your mileage may vary depending on which sausages you use.
I feel strange posting this as a recipe, but you keep asking to know what I *really* eat at home, so here you have it. Sometimes all you need is an idea.
Sausage Scramble: 10 minutes to weekend-morning, protein-bursting joy. Take that, hunger.
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 pre-cooked sausages of your choice
- 3 eggs
- 2 TBSP water
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 oz / 28g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the sausages lengthwise and then cut across into slices.
- Add the sliced sausages to the oil and heat for 2 minutes, turning occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, water, salt and pepper together.
- Tip the eggs into the skillet and stir with the sausages.
- Keep the eggs moving in the pan until they are scrambled to your desired firmness.
- Turn onto a plate, sprinkle with the grated mozzarella and broil (grill) briefly to melt the cheese.