Oh, for the love of all things cheesy and delicious, I love these Cheesy Biscuits almost more than life itself. I promise you won’t believe they have no flour in. Grain- and gluten-free peeps rejoice! Just 10 minutes to throw together and a swift 15 minutes (or so) in the oven. Heaven awaits.
***Please take a minute to read how these glorious biscuits came into existence. There is an important PSA contained therein! We’ll wait for you to come back***
I developed these Cheesy Biscuits from my mother’s very old Cheese Scone recipe. My mother was the Cheese Scones Bomb, and her cheese scones were one of my favorite things to eat growing up. The first time I pulled a batch of my gluten- and grain-free version out of the oven I nearly cried upon cutting one open, steam swirling out, and slapped some butter across the surface. It looked exactly like the innards of my mother’s cheese scones. And then I ate it and if I hadn’t known better I would have sworn it was one of her cheese scones.
UPDATE: I have been secretly thinking about the original recipe for these divine pieces of keto heaven for years. Because as tasty as they were, they were rather more fragile than I was fond of. They were not easy to slice open, and it wasn’t really possible to use them to make a sandwich. And then, the other day, I got a wild hair to try some things that had been percolating round my brain about how to solve this without changing the flavor. 4 tweaks – and a lot of fun on Facebook – later, I give you: Sturdy and Self-limiting keto Cheesy Biscuits!!
You’re very, very welcome. Now go make a sandwich. Because you can.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Author: Carrie Brown
Serves: 8 – 10
What You Need
- 9 oz. / 250g almond flour (blanched ground almonds)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 TBSP konjac flour / glucomannan powder
- 2 TBSP gelatin
- 2 oz. / 55g cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 ½ oz. / 70g sharp (strong) cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP unsweetened thin coconut milk (carton), unsweetened almond milk, or actually any unsweetened nut milk you fancy
- 1 beaten egg to glaze
What You Do
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Put the almond flour, other dry ingredients and butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. You can also do this by hand if that’s your thing.
- Turn into a bowl and mix in the cheese until evenly distributed.
- In a cup or small bowl, whisk the egg and nut milk together well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg / nut milk liquid.
- Quickly mix by hand to form a dough.
- Knead the dough lightly until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to ¾ inch thick, or thicker if you like. Especially if you’re going to use them as sandwich biscuits.
- Cut out biscuits using a round or fluted cutter, or cut them into squares with a sharp knife.
- Gather up the trimmings into a ball, re-roll and cut remaining dough into biscuits.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops with a beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes until golden brown.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Check out the back story – it’s fun.
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- Keto treats – should you eat them?
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!