Leafy greens are good. But not everyone cares for how they taste, especially if they were raised on piles of soggy, grey cabbage. So if you’re not that into cabbage but you like how you feel when you eat more non-starchy veggies, this Creamed Chicken and Cabbage Casserole may just be the perfect dish for you.
It’s a breeze to toss together this Creamed Chicken and Cabbage Casserole from ingredients that you likely already have to hand in your kitchen. OK, well maybe you don’t always have leeks loitering in your ‘fridge drawer like I do, but a quick stop-off at the grocery store to grab those and you’ll be good to go!
The use of cooked chicken means a time-saving for you, and a great way to use up leftovers from that weekend chicken you roasted.
This is a super-simple one pot meal that is good hot, good cold, and great reheated the next day. It freezes well, too, so why not make a big ol’ batch and sling half in the freezer for next week? If you do that, leave the grated cheese off before freezing. Once you’ve defrosted and warmed it, grate the cheese over the top and pop it under the broiler (grill) to give it that golden bubbling finish.
You could also turn this Creamed Chicken and Cabbage Casserole into a fantastic side to serve with a protein dish, by omitting the chicken. Then just spoon it alongside a whole roast chicken, a juicy pork chop, or a delicious piece of fresh salmon.
Increase the fat by doubling the heavy cream and cream cheese, or decrease the fat by replacing the heavy cream with your favorite nut milk. Increase the protein by adding another 8 oz. / 225g cooked chicken.
Creamed Chicken and Cabbage Casserole
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Total time: 20 mins | Serves: 4 – 6
What You Need
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or coconut oil
- 8 oz. / 225g trimmed leeks, very finely sliced
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 10 oz. / 280g cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 lb. / 450g cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 TBSP fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ¼ cup / 2 fl oz. heavy cream
- 2 oz. / 55g cream cheese
- 1 oz. / 30g Cheddar cheese, grated
What You Do
- Heat the avocado or coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the leeks, sea salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage, stir well, and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces, fresh rosemary, cream, and cream cheese to the pan and stir well until the cream cheese has completely melted and is coating the chicken and veggies.
- Spoon into a casserole dish, cover with the grated cheese and broil (grill) until golden brown.
Top Recipe Tips
- Save yourself prep time by buying pre-shredded cabbage. Or shred your own cabbage in your food processor.
- If you have dried rosemary and prefer to use that, add to the pan with the leeks at the start of the recipe.
- FOR DAIRY-FREE: swap out the cream for your favorite nut milk. Then, leave out the cream cheese and add ½ cup / 4 fl oz. thick coconut milk. Gently sprinkle ½ tsp. konjac flour over the surface of the food while stirring rapidly with the other hand to incorporate it. Heat for another couple of minutes to let the mixture thicken. Omit the grated Cheddar topping.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More chicken recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks! Available in both print and digital versions.
- Check out the categories in the left side bar and the tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
- For dairy-free see Top Recipe Tips above.
- You can use cooked turkey instead of chicken.
Sheila KraftI wish your recipes were printable. That’s all. Thank you for your goooooood recipes.
Becky MasonLove your recipes Carrie!
24 Of the Best Ideas for Chicken and Cabbage Casserole - Best Recipes Ideas and Collections[…] Best Chicken And Cabbage Casserole from Creamed Chicken and Cabbage Casserole The Real Carrie Brown. Source Image: carriebrown.com. Visit this site for details: carriebrown.com […]