I love lasagna. You love lasagna. We especially love lasagna noodles. We just don’t want to eat them anymore. They make us feel bloated, they make us grow fat, and they just generally clog up the works.
So, because I love to make your journey to SANEity easier, and your mouths happy en route, here’s some SANE Lasagna for you.
You’ll feel normal! You’ll feel healthy! You won’t gain fat! You’ll feel awesome!
And, your mouth will thank you forever.
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise into twelve 1/2” slices
- Ground pepper
- 2 lb / 900g lean ground beef
- 1 large jar tomato basil sauce (no sugar added) – Classico & Trader Joe’s brands have no sugar added
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 lb / 450g 2% cottage cheese
- 12 oz / 335g shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup parmesan, finely grated
- Brush eggplant slices with melted coconut oil, sprinkle with pepper and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400F, turning over after 10 minutes.
- Brown the beef, add tomato sauce and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While stirring rapidly, sprinkle xanthan gum over the sauce. Stir well until sauce has thickened.
- Spread ½ cup meat sauce on bottom of over proof lasagna dish.
- Place 6 slices of eggplant to cover bottom of dish.
- Spread ½ of the meat sauce over the eggplant.
- Spread ½ of the cottage cheese over the meat.
- Spread ½ of the mozzarella over the cottage cheese.
- Place 6 slices of eggplant to cover cheese layer.
- Spread remaining meat sauce over the eggplant.
- Spread remaining cottage cheese over the meat.
- Spread remaining mozzarella over the cottage cheese.
- Evenly sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until top is golden and bubbling.