Avocados are all Prima Donna in the keto and low carb world. People eat them with abandon. They slap slices of them on top of just about everything. Because avocado flesh is absolutely, awesomely good for you. Bunches of healthy fat in a form that isn’t the least bit like eating a bunch of fat. But I thought it was high time we did something different with avocados than just slice and slap. So I made you Avocado Salsa Salad.
There ain’t no oily, greasy, slippery, fattiness to deal with. Just smooth, yielding, soft, delicious fruit. But, for all their gloriousness, we still hear cries of, “What can I DO with avocado? I’m bored of just eating it straight!”, or “I don’t like avocado. What can I put it in so it tastes better?”
So I thought I’d whip you up a simple something that solved those problems if you’re bored with eating it plain or the taste of avocado doesn’t really do anything for you. Avocado Salsa Salad is as easy as can be, and ready in a minute, this is something that you could eat as a meal, a snack, or a side to some fatty meat.
Cottage cheese can be a bit tricky, so I recommend that you read the ingredients list before purchasing, just to check there’s no nonsense going on within the container. You can use any fat % of cottage cheese, so choose the one that will help you reach your goals best – from fat-free to full-fat. Bear in mind the fat in the avocado, and any other fats on your plate if you are adding this Avocado Salsa Salad as a side.
Now you have a super tasty new way to get your avocado quotient!
Avocado Salsa Salad
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 0 mins | Total time: 10 mins | Serves: 2
What You Need
- 1 English cucumber
- ½ large avocado
- 3 tsp. lime juice
- 1 scallion (green onion / spring onion)
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz. cottage cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
What You Do
- Cut the cucumber in half width-ways and then again length-ways. Cut each quarter in half again lengthwise and then cut each length into ¼ inch slices. If you’re new to cooking or that all just sounds too complicated, just chop your cucumber into bite sized pieces anyway you can. It’ll taste the same going down, it might just not look quite so pretty.
- Once you have removed the stone from the avocado and removed the skin from half of it, slice into small pieces and toss in a bowl with the lime juice until the avocado is completely coated in juice.
- Place the cucumber slices in the bowl with the avocado and mix gently.
- Using scissors, cut the scallion into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese and ground cumin and stir gently until all the ingredients have been completely combined.
Top Recipe Tips
- If you do not use an English cucumber you will want to peel it since the skin of American cucumbers is bitter.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More avocado recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks! Available in both print and digital versions.
- Check out the categories in the left side bar and the tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
- You can swap out the scallion with a small amount of white or yellow onion that has been grated or very finely chopped if those are what you have on hand. The flavor will be different, but it will still work.
- You can swap out the lime juice for lemon juice, although the lime elevates the flavors more than the lemon, so I recommend lime if you have some.