This Cheesy Peppered Steak Soup is the third in a series of recipes that started life as a fabulously tasty Sheet Pan Meal that I then morphed the ingredient list into an entirely different meal. Giving you two different recipes for the same ingredients will help you budget, plan, and bulk buy without getting bored with what’s on the menu!
I am pretty sure I would not have come up with this particular combination in a soup if I hadn’t made the Sheet Pan Nutmegger Cheesesteak first. So I am really glad that sheet pan dinner went down, because this soup is delicious! I am a big fan of soups at the best of times and this made a perfect weeknight dinner with little time, no fancy ingredients, and meat that can easily kept on hand in the freezer.
Those Fox Hill Kitchen Bunz – or whatever bread substitute you prefer – that you may have used to turn the Sheet Pan Nutmegger Cheesesteak into a fabulous keto Cheesesteak would also be wonderful to sop up this Cheesy Peppered Steak Soup with. I do like dunking bread in my soup, and those Fox Hill Kitchen Bunz are my favorite! Want those Bunz? We have a coupon for those! Click here and use coupon code: carrie for a 15% discount!
Shaved steak – typically found prepacked in the meat counter or in frozen food – is very, very finely sliced beef. The thickness of the beef makes it perfect for a quick soup it cooks very fast – no need to brown and cook the meat forever. The longest part is sauteing the veggies, then it all comes together in minutes.
Want more or less veggies in your soup? Have at it. Want more or less beef? Go for it! Just keep the liquid, thickener and cheese amounts the same and you can use or or more meat and veggies depending on what you have, what your goals are, or what your carb and protein levels need to be.
I suspect that you keep most of these ingredients on hand in your fridge and pantry so this makes a brilliant last minute “What can I eat?” meal. If this isn’t in your regular rotation it really needs to be!
Cheesy Peppered Steak Soup
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins | Serves: 4 – 6
What You Need
- 2 TBSP avocado oil or coconut oil
- 8 oz. / 225g bell peppers, finely chopped
- 4 oz. / 110g white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 oz. / 140g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb / 450g shaved steak
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste (Get the best sea salt here and use code: carriebrown for 15% discount!)
- 3 cups / 1.5 pints beef stock
- 2 cups / 1 pint almond milk
- 1/4 cup / 2 fl oz. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tsp. konjac flour / glucomannan powder
- 1/2 tsp. guar gum
- 3 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 oz. / 110g smoked Gruyere
- 4 oz. / 110g mozzarella
What You Do
- In a large pan, heat the avocado oil over a medium heat and then add the chopped bell peppers, onions, and sliced mushrooms and saute until the veggies are just starting to soften.
- Add the shaved steak, season with sea salt and ground black pepper, stir well, and continue to saute for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, almond milk, heavy cream, and apple cider vinegar and stir well.
- Bring the soup just to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Gently and evenly sprinkle the konjac flour over the surface of the soup while stirring very rapidly with the other hand to quickly incorporate it throughout the soup.
- Repeat the last process with the guar gum and continue stirring for 2 minutes until the soup has fully thickened.
- Add the fresh chopped parsley, the smoked Gruyere, and the mozzarella and stir until the cheeses are completely melted.
Top Recipe Tips
- You can also use sliced roast beef. Even though it is thicker, since it is roasted already you only need to heat it through.
- You can use any mixture of cheeses that you prefer to vary the flavor, but for best results make sure you choose ‘melty’ cheeses.
- If you only have dried parsley, reduce the amount to 1 tsp. and add it with the shaved steak earlier in the recipe.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More beef recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!
- Check out the categories and tags at the bottom of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
Podcast Episodes and You Tube Videos
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
- See Top Recipe Tips above.