I love pate. All kinds of pate. As an added bonus, pate is an excellent way of disguising things like liver into something rather fantastic. Especially when you add bacon. Because as everyone knows, everything is better with bacon. Adding some spiciness further masks the liveriness of it all. Thus, I give you Spicy Beef Liver & Bacon Pate.
An extra step I take is to marinate the liver in an acid like yogurt which helps remove some of the liver flavor.
If you’ve been nervous to try liver this is a fabulous way to put on your training wheels! Give it a shot!
Spicy Beef Liver and Bacon Pate
Author: Yogi Parker| Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Total time: 30 mins | Serves: 8 – 12
What You Need
- 1lb (454g) beef or calf liver
- 6oz (170g) yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1lb (454g) bacon
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 oz. / 225g white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced and seeded
- 1 tsp chili pepper flake
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 4 TBSP collagen powder
- OPTIONAL: Fox Hill Kitchen Bunz, Croutonz, or Bagel Holez (Use code: carrie for a 15% discount!)
What You Do
- Rinse the liver with cool water, pat dry, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the liver in the yogurt and let it marinade overnight. The acid from the yogurt will help cut down on the liver taste.
- Chop the bacon into pieces, and brown the bacon over medium heat in a skillet.
- Remove the browned bacon and set aside, keeping the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add the veggies in and sauté until the peppers are tender and the onions are translucent. Remove the veggies from the skillet and set aside.
- Put all the dry seasonings into a bowl and mix it all together.
- Remove the liver from the yogurt and rinse it off. Discard the yogurt.
- Liberally season one side of the liver with the seasoning and place the seasoned side of the liver down in the bacon grease and season the other side. Cook for about three minutes on each side and remove.
- Put everything in a food processor, including any leftover bacon grease and collagen, and purée until everything becomes a smooth mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a container, or portion it out into several containers, cover, and let sit in the fridge overnight before serving.
Top Recipe Tips
- If you really don’t like the taste of liver, increase the ratio of bacon to liver by reducing the liver and doubling the bacon.
- If you don’t like spicy, omit the jalapeño.
- Serve on some keto bread like Fox Hill Kitchen Bunz (Use code: carrie for a 15% discount!), or some keto crackers or cheese crisps. We served it with the Fox Hill Kitchen Bagel Holez (pictured), butter, and cucumber sticks.
- To make individual portions, put the pate into silicone molds and freeze. Once frozen, remove from the molds and store layered in parchment in airtight containers in the freezer.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More beef recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Keto Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!
- Check out the categories and tags at the top of the post to help you find more recipes using certain ingredients or from certain categories.
- Discounts on great keto products and resources.
Podcast Episodes and You Tube Videos
- Watch Yogi’s Cooking Videos
- Watch Carrie’s Cooking Videos
- Watch our Cooking Tips and Tricks Videos
- Don’t. Just buy the correct ingredients and you, too, shall have a fabulous outcome!
Laura Owenscan the collagen be omitted? what purpose does it serve
Sherry HinksonWhat is the other condiment/sauce/dip pictured on the serving tray? Can’t wait to try the late!
MaryCan this recipe be used to can beef liver? I was gifted some liver and I would like to preserve it and have it ready to use.
MaryIs it possible to can this recipe in small half pints?